Thursday, June 19, 2008

Clarification

Just so you're all clear, Project Redshirt will definitely have something to do with the hit TV show LOST. This site and the results of the project are NOT officially or unofficially sanctioned by ABC, Bad Robot Productions or any persons or organizations involved with the creation or production of LOST.

This is a purely fan-driven project but I hesitate to call it "fan-fiction". I also hesitate to tell you Project Redshirt really is, so you'll have to wait some more yet to find out (though a select few are already privy to my plans).

I do not like the term "fan-fiction". The concept of it is tolerable, but only to a point. Traditionally, "fan-fiction" is a story or mock script written by someone with more time on their hands than myself. These stories and scripts take the main characters of a show or story and the author(s) give themselves free reign over what to do with these characters. "Fan-fiction" also comes in the form of fan made videos, or fan created ARG's.

Sometimes "fan-fiction" is quite lousy and the author is merely trying to thrust their viewpoints or theories or desires for the show onto the readers. Other times, "fan-fiction" can be quite good and can come very close to mimicking the actual future events of the show/story.

It is my goal to keep Project Redshirt as "fan-fiction" free as possible. It is inevitable that Project Redshirt will contain some "fan-fiction" elements but these will be minimal and not contradictory to anything in LOST canon. At the same time Project Redshirt will be both inclusive of and exclusive from what we have seen on LOST. This may seem paradoxical at the moment, but once Project Redshirt has taken flight, you will understand.

So, in the future, I encourage you to dissuade others from labeling the results of the project as "fan-fiction." It will (hopefully) be so much more than that.

1 comment:

Apopheniac79 said...

Thanks for addressing the fan-fic issue.
I too am not a fan of it. Not trying to take anything away from those that partake, more power to those authors' creative talents, but it usually just leaves me wondering 'Why did I just read all that?' So, I've stopped reading fan-fic, of any stripe, altogether (not that I really read all that much to begin with).

So, I'm intrigued now that my fan-fic fears have been assuaged.